|Charlie's Bathroom Designs
Charles Gueli shares 7 ideas for Bathroom Designs and other Hygiene Tips.
- The best way to prevent mold and mildew from forming on the grout between your tiles is to apply a solution of 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts water every couple of weeks. If the bacteria already exists, vinegar and bleach will work, but vinegar smells, and bleach could eventually turn the grout yellow. Whichever solution you choose, it can be sprayed on – and there’s no need to rinse. Use your exhaust fan whenever you have a bath or shower. Keep it running until all the steam and fog is gone. This will minimize mold & mildew.
- Use cast iron piping for all your drain lines. Plastic drain lines are VERY noisy. You can also add sound insulation in the wall around the pipes. Some people wake up before others, so keep the noise from going to other parts of the house.
- When remodeling, devote a new 20 amp circuit to the bathroom. Hair dryers, electric curlers, and other hand-held appliances use a lot of power. And make sure you have a GFI receptacle for these items to be plugged into.
- If you are lucky enough to have a skylight in your bathroom, make sure it has a ventilation flap you can open to minimize condensation or get hot moist air to flow outdoors. Don’t scrimp. Buy the most expensive soft coat Low-E glass possible.
- If there’s something about your bathroom (or kitchen for that matter) that’s making you unhappy, visit the National Kitchen and Bath Association’s web site. By clicking on “consumer workbook” you can see how the room measures up against the industry’s design and safety guidelines. Workbook topics include how much counter space you need, how big to make your shower, and how high the bathtub controls should be. You can visit them at www.nkba.org.
- Making your bathroom smell fresh does not require a pressurized can full of toxins. You can keep it clean and fresh with vinegar and lemon juice. Mix the two in a spray bottle, dilute with water (2 to 1) and spray on areas that need cleaning. Let it soak a while, then rinse. If you have stubborn mineral deposits, don’t dilute with the water. For a tough tub, you can mix some castile soap, some baking soda, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil and you have a non-toxic cleaner that smells great. (Submitted by Roland Ratliff).
- Multiple shower heads can give you a body massage every time you shower. It’s a luxurious feature that is loved by virtually everyone who has them. The big faucet companies have body washing systems you can buy at your local faucet and fixture dealer – if you just won the lottery.